Beer & Dice

Session 29

DUNGEON MASTER: [GAME STARTS HERE]
DUNGEON MASTER: The sun once again moves behind the Tusk Mountains, setting red behind the black stilhoutted peaks. Dusk is settling as the party rounds a bend to discover a number of brightly painted wagons circled near the side of the road.

“Hallo?” hails a male voice calls through the semi-darkness. “Aleece?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: Hello dear Sir, no none of us is Aleece, I am Solar, and I and my companions wish you greating on this fine night
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Greetings, my name is Johan, a fellow traveller through this region. How goes you?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: May we approach you? Or would you rather us leave you to your own business
SOLAR CE’NEA: Percpetion 1d20+4 = 17 SOlar looks around to see if there is anyone trying to sneak up on the companions and what the reaction of the man (and anyone else might be)
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar notices nothing out of the ordinary, although the man’s voice sounds anxious.

“What-yes, yes, come and have a seat near our fire… once it’s lit..”
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan looks to Grundig and whispers, “Without light we can’t see much. Does it like safe, can you see woman and children?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: You seem troubled friend, is there something we could help you with?
GRUNDIG: perception 1d20+11=25 looking for any thing out of the ordenary are they looking for woman and children in the party or if there are only men dose do they look like entertainers.
GRUNDIG: grundig wispers to his companions “The man speaking is wearing a purple pin-striped suit with a tall purple hat. He looks like an entertainer of some sort. There are others moving around the campsite in the semi-dark.”
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan nods at Grundig’s appraisal, “We accept your offer and hospitality to join you.” Johan whispers, “Come on let’s see what news they have and where they are travelling too.”
GRUNDIG: grundig nods his aprovel and moves foward with the group
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar whispers to his companions Lets just make sure we don’t get seperated and stay together. With that he turns to Kendra, perhaps we should make ti look like you are one of our partners, just in case there are some in the group that want to do something Nefarious
DUNGEON MASTER: As the party approaches in the gloom, a lavender-clad man steps out to greet them. “Hail, friends—wait, have I met you before on my journey?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: Hail Kaleb, It is good to see you!
SOLAR CE’NEA: How goes it!
SOLAR CE’NEA: With that confident he is with friends Solar cast dancing Lights to help everyone see
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar’s spell illuminates the entire campsite, which consists of four garishly painted wagons among which a number of people with phyiscal deformities are setting up camp. On the side of one of the wagons are painted a name: “The Crooked Kin”.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan recognises the purple coloured clothed man standing before them, offering an empty palm to shake with an open smile. “Well met once again, Johan is the name. Good to see you again, what brings you and your kin to this area?”
DUNGEON MASTER: “Well, after we left—Ah, Ravengro, it was, we made our way northward, stopping now and then. We had some… troubles in Tamrivena, and we thought it best to get out of there at once—and then Aleece… but you folk! Welcome and come sit by our fire,” he says gesturing grandly to the small pit where several midgits are setting about lighting kindling.
SOLAR CE’NEA: We also found the People of Tamrivena…less than gracious hosts. It is good to see familiar faces.
SOLAR CE’NEA: We would love to sit at your fire. I hope you ahve been keeping well!
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar then introduces Grundig to Kaleb and recounts to Grundid the encounter with the flaming skulls where they first met Kaleb
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Ah yes, we were also met with hostility and turned away fro mthe gates by – less welcoming city guards – when we approached Tamrivena.” Johan queitly queries Kaleb, “What of Aleece you mentioned before?”
GRUNDIG: grundig relaxes seeing that the others know the group and introduses himself. after which he says “I ran into a bit of trouble passing through there myself.”
DUNGEON MASTER: “Well, now that we come to it, I’m not so sure we are doing well—’tis a hard life, following the road from one great burg to another. Just right now we seem to have lost one of our—ah, pinheads—Aleece is her name..”
SOLAR CE’NEA: Lost her, What do you mean by that?
GRUNDIG: “can we help look for her where was she last seen”
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan nods at Grundig and Solar’s questions, keen to help if possible before too much time has gone by.
DUNGEON MASTER: “Well, I mean she’s gone out in the woods to savor the music of the wilderness, and she hasn’t come back just yet. Not that it’s anything you really ought to concern yourselves with, fine folk as you are—unless, you say you’re inclined to, master gnome?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: We could certainly all help look for you, we have a good mixture of skills in this group
GRUNDIG: knolage nature 1d20+9=25 checking to see what sort of creatuers habit this airea
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “I’m sure my companions and I won’t mind finding your friend before she misses the nights supper.”
DUNGEON MASTER: “You would! Saviours and rescurers twice over, I say!” he replies enthusasitically.

Grundig knows that this region has woodsy hills and boggy swamps, replete with all of the typical creatures common to such enviorns.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Perhaps you could show us where she went and my learned friends could look for tracks
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan regards kendra, “My lady are you inclined to join us in our search for Aleece or would you prefer to stay with our companions by the fire?”
DUNGEON MASTER: “Why of course! Of course!” he says, very much relieved. Just over here—we saw her heading off into the wilds this away. He gestures toward a small trail leading down into a boggy river valley.
DUNGEON MASTER: “I-well, whatever you think is best,” replies Kendra. “I would be happy to follow you… if you think the wagon is perfectly safe here?”
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “The wagon is safe with with our Crooked Kin. Let’s head off and find Aleece with haste.” Johan doesn’t hesitate, quickly moving towards the track, taking lead as he kneels every now and then to observe where Aleece’s footprints lead.
Survival check (track): 1d20+12 = 25
GRUNDIG: Grundig helps with the search for Aleese survival check 1d20+11=22
DUNGEON MASTER: As the party speaks with Kaleb, the sun sinks behind the mountains and the evening darkens. The muffled sounds a pair of sobbing women come from a nearby trailer, accompanied by a huskier voice trying to soothe them.
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar directs his dancing lights to help see easily the tracks
DUNGEON MASTER: [There is some moonlight and starlight; enough for Grundig to see 60’]
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar also has his cross bow out ready
DUNGEON MASTER: With little trouble, Johan and Grudig locate tracks made by a pair of small, slippered feet—leading straight down the trail into the boggy valley.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Mesodias enchants the hilt of his greatsword with a light spell as they make their way along the path.
DUNGEON MASTER: The heroes do not lack for magical illumination as they plod down the increasingly muddy trail, there only company the midges and the crickets chirping in the night.
GRUNDIG: grundig keeps his eyes peeald for any sighn of danger.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “This is going to get messy but I’m sure we can clean up with magic once this is over.” As Johan moves ahead he keeps his eye out for ‘other’ creatures tracks or any natural hazards like quicksand bog.
DUNGEON MASTER: The heroes travel downward for about a half hour, during which the sound of crickets increases and the midges swarm ever more mercilessly around their ears and noses.

Abruptly, the track leads into a marshy bog where the reeds grow up to Johan’s face and the water stands about ankle-deep.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan careful observes where the footprints or tracks leave, looking if they are footprints or drag marks leading into the boggy marsh.
Survival check (track): 1d20+12 = 30
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar just tries to help with the lighting and tries to keep Kendra warm and as dry as possible
DUNGEON MASTER: It is tough to see, but Johan’s skilled eyes soon notice the reeds parted here and there, where someone has recently made there way through. Whoever came this way wore a laced garmet, judging by the thread stuck on one of the plants.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan softly whispers to the party as he gestures to the reeds and footprints. “This doesn’t look good, Aleece did not belong in a place like this. Not only did Aleece travel too far away from the camp but this is a perfect spot for swarms and other things to cause harm.”
GRUNDIG: grundig checks to the sides and rear for any sighn of danger
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan sorts through the camp fire stories when he was a mere apprentice ranger about marsh creatures that could have taken Aleece without obvious sign of struggle.
Knowledge (nature): 1d20+7 = 16
DUNGEON MASTER: Grundig notices a number of midges, along with a great deal of mud and water skippers.
DUNGEON MASTER: Allowing that Aleece was no more than a circus entertainer, any number of things could have taken her unawares.
DUNGEON MASTER: (Johan astutely observes.)
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Solar can you send your lights out as far as they can in that direction.”
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar does as he is asked
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “We have a difficult decision to make, if Aleece went into the marsh alone she is not coming back unless we go in right now and even then it may be too late. And going into the marsh will be very difficult for those not strong swimmers.”
GRUNDIG: grundig wispers to the party that he is going to go for a scout and listen for his call and then transforms into a owl
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar says, I don’t think we should abandon this now, we have come this far, we should continue
GRUNDIG: grundig takes to the air following the parting reeds survival 1d20+11=28
GRUNDIG: looking for sighns of aleece
GRUNDIG: perception 1d20+11=32
DUNGEON MASTER: Grundig follows the tracks forward for about 100 feet, where the tracks end in a cramped clearing filled with dismal-looking gray flowers.
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar’s dancing lights follow the owl up to the clearing.
GRUNDIG: grundig looks for the reason the trail ends eg sighnes of drag marks desturbed ground. survival 1d20+11=24
GRUNDIG: whilst I circel arround the grey flowers
DUNGEON MASTER: Gruding circles the clearing at 30’, trying to discern what became of the person who made the tracks. Unfortunately, he is able to discover nothing—the tracks seem to end shortly after entering the clearing.

Suddenly, some distance to the north of the clearing, a sobbing, feminine shriek sounds in the night. It somewhat resembles the voice of the woman sobbing in the circus wagon back at the campsite.
GRUNDIG: grundig looks colser at the gray flowers knowledge nature 1d20+9=10
DUNGEON MASTER: Grudig discerns that the flowers are gray.
GRUNDIG: grundig turns and flyes towards the screem riseing to 50ft
GRUNDIG: before grundig flys off he drops a turd and casts light as it falls out of the sky
DUNGEON MASTER: Gruding remembers that he can not cast spells while shifted, though he does manage to hit a flower with his turd.

He then flies northward while the party waits back at the edge of the marsh. After flying north for about 150’, he still has discovered nothing.

At that moment a second scream sounds out, very close to the place where the party stands on the shore.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan scratches his head as a sign of impatience as he waits for Grundig’s return. “What the hell is going on out there? This is killing me not knowing.”
GRUNDIG: Grundig turns arround and heads back towards the scream.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar is confused, he thinks something is playing with them. thinks a creatures that can do ventriloquist tricks or can mimic sounds is trying to confuse them, and says so to his companions.
SOLAR CE’NEA: " I think the best thing to do is follow the physical signs and not worry about the sounds
SOLAR CE’NEA: I thikn this becasue there is only one girl missing and she can’t move that fast
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan takes a deep breath, not knowing what it could be and fighting his instinct to help for woman. “Something doesn’t seem right about this. Where the hell is Grundig, I hope nothing has happened to him.”
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar says I think we should head into the swamp and continue to follwo the physical signs and the scream, if they correspond. However I don’t think we should split up any mroe than we have
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Ok let’s stay together. I’ll try and follow the tracks into the march.” Johan enters the marsh, following the tracks and keeping an eye out for natural hazards.
Surivival check: 1d20+12 = 26
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar is looking around for any possible threats or movements of the reads perception 1d20+4=22
DUNGEON MASTER: The party heads north, following the tracks toward the scream.

Meanwhile, in another part of the marsh, Grudig wheels and flys southward as fast as he is able.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan perception: 1d20+9 = 22
Mesodias Perception check: 1d20+6 = 10
Shadow Splatterface (wolf) Perception check: 1d20+5 = 16

  • DUNGEON MASTER sent Untitled picture.png,… *
    DUNGEON MASTER: Quite suddenly and abruptly, the a form materializes in front of Solar. A horrid spider, with the face of a human, reaches out and bites at the sorcerer.

[Solar takes 14 damage. DC 18 Fort save please.]
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan Initiative check: 1d20+4 = 15
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar fort save 1d20+3=20
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Mesodias Intiative check: 1d20+4 = 14
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar Initiative 1d20+7=19
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar Knowledge check to figure out what this thing is 1d20+1
SOLAR CE’NEA: try 1d20+13=27
DUNGEON MASTER: [Initiative order is: Spiderthing, Solar, Johan, Mesodias.]
DUNGEON MASTER: Instantly, the spider lashes out again, striking Solar with its horrid, fanged mouth. [10 damage and another fort save please.]

The spider then disapppears, fading out of sight as if it were turning invisible.

[Solar’s turn.]
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar quickly realizes that this is a phase spider—a nasty creature that can ambush, deliver a poisoned bite, and dissappear in the blink of an eye.
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar readies his ear piercing scream to attack when the spider reappears
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar yells out what it is and what it can do
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Where the hell did it go? Stand in between Mesodias and I!”
Johan’s eye open wide in horror as Solar’s dancing lights illuminate a hiddeous combination of spider and man. Johan quickdraws his magical longsword and grips it above his head as he stands ready for the creature to reappear and attack.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Mesodias casts Cure Moderate Wounds on Solar after watching the phase spider make a masty strike at him. Convert Weapon of Awe into Cure Mod Wounds.
CMW: 2d8+4 = 13
Mesodias draws his heavy mace from his shoulders as he looks about for the beast to reappear.
GRUNDIG: initiaive 1d20+4=13
DUNGEON MASTER: The phase spider materiazes beside Johan. [Provoking an AOO.]
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: To Hit (longsword): 1d20+9 = 25
Damage (longsword): 1d8+7 = 10
DUNGEON MASTER: Johan’s readied attack slices through the beast’s hairy skin.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Ear-Piercing Scream
2d6=10 and dazed for one round
DC14 Fort save means not Dazed and only half damage.
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar’s attack hits the creature with full force—blood streams out of its eye sockets and nose, and it stands there dazed for a brief moment.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar cast flaming sphere at the Phase spider 3d6 points =

Can Move 30 feet in a round
SOLAR CE’NEA: damage 15 Reflex save for half
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Solar swings his heavy mace at the phase spider, his mace glowing in grey flame (distructive smite).
To Hit (heavy mace): 1d20+8 = 22
Damage (heavy mace): 1d8+7+2 = 11
DUNGEON MASTER: [Mesodias, not solar. Also, Johan should act first. And shadow.]
DUNGEON MASTER: Mesodias’ blow strikes the thing hard on the leg.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Kendra cast cplor spray at the spider
DUNGEON MASTER: The thing dodges aside as Solar’s burning sphere drops out of the sky, buring the beast’s nasty hairy body somewhat.
DUNGEON MASTER: Kendra’s spell lights up the night, but the phase spider merely ducks its head as the dazzling colors wash over it.
GRUNDIG: Grundig surveys the situation seeing that solar is injured he lands behind him and changes back to a gnome.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan lashes out against the phase spider while it was visable.
To Hit (longsword): 1d20+9 = 23
Damage (longsword): 1d8+7 = 11
DUNGEON MASTER: Johan’s strike smacks hard into the beast’s body, doing terrible damage to its already bloodied belly. It is looking very badly off indeed
-it screams now, not with the voice of Aleece but with the voice of an unearthly creature facing its death.
DUNGEON MASTER: As suddenly as before, it vanishes from sight.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar readies another another Ear piercing Scream for when the Spider reapears
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan readies an attack action, with longsword held above his head for when the spider appears.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Mesodias readies an attack action for when the phase spider reappears.
GRUNDIG: grundig pulls out his qualter staff and gets ready to strike out
DUNGEON MASTER: The party stands at ready for about a minute, during which time nothing happens. The only sounds are the crickets screeching and the heroes’ laboured breathing.
DUNGEON MASTER: [Off rounds.]
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar says…well…we look a little silly don’t we, I think we hurt it sufficinetly for it to go. I suggest we continue to follw and look for Aleeece but I don’t hold high hopes for her. If the Phase Spide was invovled, she is likely passed
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Mesodias lowers his weapon, but only to convert Protection from Evil into Cure Light Wounds for Solar.
CLW: 1d8+4 = 7 hp
GRUNDIG: “What the hell was that?”
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Can phase spiders imitate voices? And Grundig did you see any signs of Allece during your scouting?”
GRUNDIG: Grundig relays what he saw during his flight and where the tracks disapear
SOLAR CE’NEA: Yes, I should have twigged to that earlier, they do use voices to lure people to their death.
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar thanks Mesodias for his healing!
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan sighs, “What do we think about following the tracks to at least find Aleece and bring her back for a burial? I hope that sneaky bastard doesn’t show itself again in the mean while?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: I agree!
SOLAR CE’NEA: There souldn’t be many other preditors with a phase Spider around!
GRUNDIG: “I think that would be for the best.”
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Stay close, if it shows itself we may only get once chance to strike at it before it disappears.”
Survival check (track): 1d20+12 = 28
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar starts looking around for other victims of the Spider and signs of Aleece Perception 1d20+4=20
DUNGEON MASTER: Johan leads the heroes north into the same clearing, where broad leafy plants grow clad with gray colored flowers.
DUNGEON MASTER: The footprints go into the clearing, but they do not come out.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan searches the clearing for any place the spider could have hidden the body.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan moves forward into the clearing, searching for Aleece.
Perception check: 1d20+9 = 27
GRUNDIG: grundig checks the ground where the tracks end prodding it with his quater staff
DUNGEON MASTER: Johan discovers the body of a small woman hidden beneath a layer of flowers and reeds. It appears she suffered from microcephaly.

While he is searching, Johan also discovers a potion of fox’s cunning, a magnifying glasswith a gold handle, a small wooden box containing a set of brass weights, a walnut traveling case with a pair of superior locks and their keys sealed in wax, and a jar of pickled garlic cloves among the unsettling skeletal body parts surrounding Aleece’s corpse.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan shakes his head when he finds Aleece’s body and remains. “Damn it that bastard spider got her. The least we can do is take her and her possessions back for a proper burial away from this place.”
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar cast detect magic on the items found
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar discovers no unexpected sources of magic.
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar looks at the box with the brass weights and the magnifiing glass
SOLAR CE’NEA: Percpetion check 1d20+4=20
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan careful places Aleece’s remains into his sack without disturbing what is left over as much as possible. He then stands guard to his companions while they inspect the items of interest.
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar discovers nothing unexpected about the magnifying glass, the box, or the weights.
DUNGEON MASTER: However, the box does seem somewhat heavier than one might expect an item of its size to be.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar investigates for a secret compartment or to see if the box is truely wood and nothing something
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “What is it with the items? Are they magical or special in use?”
SOLAR CE’NEA: Percpetion 1d20+4=24
DUNGEON MASTER: Solar discovers no secret compartments. It appears to be made of solid wood.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar gives it the box to johan and says I think there is something wrong here, it is much heavier than it should be, can you take a look at it
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan inspects it with the magnifying glass for any hint of a secret compartment.
Perception check: 1d20+9 = 21
DUNGEON MASTER: Johan discovers no secret compartments. The box certainly does seem to have a bit too much heft, though—more than one might expect judging by its size.
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan hands the bx to Grundig before standing watch.
GRUNDIG: can i take a look perception 1d20+11=23
SOLAR CE’NEA: Perhaps we should look at it in the morning in better light, Lets head back with the girls body
SOLAR CE’NEA: the caravan will be getting worried
GRUNDIG: yes lets not spend any more time than we have to out here
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: “Fine, the sooner we leave this place the better. When we get back to the caravan site we need multiple sentries, both us and them with this troublesome spider in the area.”
SOLAR CE’NEA: SOalr will take the magnifying glass
GRUNDIG: grundig puts the fox cunning potion.
SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar will take a small wooden box containing a set of brass weights
JOHAN D’ALMENTA: Johan collects the walnut traveling case with a pair of superior locks and their keys sealed in wax, and a jar of pickled garlic cloves before the leave.
DUNGEON MASTER: The party marches back out of the horrid little marsh, bearing both the body and their pilfered goods.

Comments

ddstevenson

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.