Beer & Dice

Session 34

[START GAME]

DUNGEON MASTER: The party is standing in the dismal town of Morast, and hired the services of a young man named Bratzig.

DUNGEON MASTER: It is about 4:30 in the afternoon. Sunset this time of year comes at about 6.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: “Good sir as our first port of call could you show us to the bone yard. We would like to inspect it, the unfortunate place where the incident occurred,” asks Johan.

DUNGEON MASTER: “The—-ah, yes, fine sirs, straightaway,” replies the man after a few startled blinks. “Ah, right this way then, I’ve got just the craft for you folk to go piddlin’ about the marsh in.”

Bratzig leads the party down through the village to the shore of the nearest swamp-lake. The craft proves to be a small run down corcacle, and after a bit of negotiation with a black-faced dour pair of boatmen, he procures a couple more for the heroes’ use.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Perception check 1d20+4=15

DUNGEON MASTER: “Hop in, my travelers, and we’ll be off! Its just down yon rivulet! It’s, ah, not bein’ used anymore, but I spose you already know all about that,” he says with a knowing nod.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan Perception check: 1d20+9 = 24

Mesodias Perception check: 1d20+6 = 8

GRUNDIG: perception 1d20+11=30

DUNGEON MASTER: The party travels through the brown water, paddling quietly in a line after Bratzig’s cortacle. Their guide looks around a bit nervously as they move forward, but nothing disturbs the journey but for the sound of frogs and swamp birds. At one point Grundig fancies he sees the water ripple off in the distance, but nothing dangerous emerges to menace them.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar asks “Mr Bratzig, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you looking around for?”

DUNGEON MASTER: “Just bein’ safe, you know,” he says with a shrug. “Tain’t entirely safe out here. The Dipplemere eats a lot of folk and they ain’t seen again.”

SOLAR CE’NEA: Lazne told us that everyone thought a camian got the golem originally, was it a particualr camian that still lives in the area?

SOLAR CE’NEA: Oh, has anyone dissapeared lately?

DUNGEON MASTER: Bratzig smiles wryly. “It was a particular camian I don’t doubt, but it don’t happen to be one I’m familiar with. Folk will dissappear now and then when they’re out here—it just ain’t safe, is all I’m sayin.”

DUNGEON MASTER: Soon Bratzig whistles and points ahead to a tiny, miserable island that rises from the swamp, a tangle of trees covering its dour, reed-choked surface. Hundreds of fetishes hang from the trees—simple, roughly humanoid figures made of sticks and bound with twine. Larger fetishes are planted in the ground on various parts of the island, leaning drunkenly in the soft mud. A large nest built of sodden swamp wood sits high in the boughs of a trio of tangled trees on the northwest side of the isle.

DUNGEON MASTER: “There she is,” he says in a hushed tone. “Go ahead and do yer investigating, and I’ll be ready when you’re done.”

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar looks for solid ground and ask Johan and Grundig where they think the safest path would be

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan carefully climbs out of the boat, sloshing through the thick mud before finding himself more firm footings. “Let’s see what we can find out.”

Johan inspects the place first for any potential natural hazards, signs of crocodile tracks before starting the investigation.

Survival check: 1d20+11 = 20

Perception check (fresh tracks): 1d20+9 = 23

GRUNDIG: grundig survays the ground and steps from the craft and starts looking arround for anything that would seam unusual survival 1d20+11=28

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias less gracefully slides out of the boat and finds himself a secure place to stand out of the way, keeping an eye on the waters edge for any encouters with the local inhabitants.

GRUNDIG: looking for fresh tracks nests of unusual animals

SOLAR CE’NEA: Perception check 1d20+4=17 Solar is looking around to see if any graves have been tampered with, tracks or signs of any kind, animal or human or otherwise, and if there is anything in the graveyard that should not be there

DUNGEON MASTER: The nest in the northern half of the island is notable for its size. It sits about 20 feet up in the trees. Otherwise, the island appears to be undisturbed.

Solar discovers some 40 graves, each marked with a simple wooden fetish man. He also discovers a small firepit with a waterskin (still half full of wine), the aged remnants of some trail rations, and a curious glass vial scattered on the ground nearby. The bottomof the vial contains a dried green substance.

DUNGEON MASTER: http://www.cosketch.com/Rooms/dkpxrxw

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar tries to identify the green substance. knowledge arcana 1d20+13=27

GRUNDIG: grundig checks the fire to see if he can tell how long it has been sinc someone used it survival 1d20+11=15

SOLAR CE’NEA: guys there are some weird things here, why would someone have a campfire in the middle of a grave, can you guys also check around with your survival skills and percpetion.

DUNGEON MASTER: Solar decides that this is an alchemist’s darkvision extract. It smells vague of carrots.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: “This is most unusual. I can’t fathom what has been going on here?” Johan scratches his head as he looks around for fresh crocodile foot prints.

DUNGEON MASTER: Grundig decides that this fire is about a year old.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar tries to remember if Golems have darkvison Knowledge check arcana 1d20+13=23

DUNGEON MASTER: As he continues to look, Johan discovers an odd thing: an old, half-rotted coracle hidden in the trees and brush along the southwest shore of the island.

DUNGEON MASTER: Solar decides that golems generally do posess darkvision.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias stands armed with his greatsword as the party move about inspecting the bone yard.

DUNGEON MASTER: Quite suddenly, a tremendous bestial roar shatters the silence of the swamp.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar upon hearing the roar, immediately pulls out his wand of mage armour and casts it on himself. Heads up gentleman, it sounds like we have company, Solar then pulls out his crossbow

GRUNDIG: grundig looks arround form where it came from and prepairs for an attack by casting barkskin on himself

GRUNDIG: using extend spell

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan arms himself with his longbow as he looks around for a sign of the beast that they have disturbed.

DUNGEON MASTER: The sound appears to have originated from the southwest.

DUNGEON MASTER: Suddenly a beast appears over the trees, 200’ to the south. It has a vaguely humanoid head, the body of a lion, and the wings of a dragon. Its tail ends in long, sharp spikes.

[Initiative please.]

GRUNDIG: initiative 1d20+4=5

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan Initiative check: 1d20+4 = 22

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias Initative check: 1d20+4 = 18

SOLAR CE’NEA: Iniative 1d20+7=21

DUNGEON MASTER: [Order is: Johan, Solar, Mesodias, Manticore, Grundig. The beast is currently about 200’ to the south of the island.]

DUNGEON MASTER: The Manticore is also about 70’ high.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan turns around and unleashes an rrow from his longbow at the beast as it approaches, obviously defending it’s territory. (Rapid Shot)

To Hit (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d207-2-2 = 21

Damage (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d84 = 9

To Hit (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d207-2-2 = 19

Damage (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d84 = 8

DUNGEON MASTER: Both arrows strike true. The beast roars in anger.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar tries to get closer to cover from the Manticore whilst also firing his crossbow at it

Crossbow 1d20+4= 18

damage 1d8=6

DUNGEON MASTER: Solar’s bolt flies short of his target.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias released his greatsword for a moment as he summons Shield of Faith as he watches the flying beast approach. Mesodias grins with an evil sneer as he grits his teeth and waits in anticipation for battle.

DUNGEON MASTER: The manticore flies forward 50’ and whips its tail, sending spikes flying toward Grundig and Mesodias. Mesodias manages to duck as the things fly overhead, but Grundig is not so lucky and one hits him for 8 damage.

DUNGEON MASTER: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1329176081052/images/Manticore11.jpg?height=363&width=400

GRUNDIG: grund sees the flying lion spikes rain down arround him not ready for the attack he is luck not to get hit he steelshimself and casts produce flame and runs for the trees.

GRUNDIG: ranged touch att =1d20+2-2=16

GRUNDIG: dam=1d6+4=7

DUNGEON MASTER: The flame strikes the manticore. A hiss arises as his fur catches fire. His dark wings continue to beat over the water.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan fires off another volley of shots towards the manticore. (Rapid Shot)

To Hit (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d207-2-2 = 17

Damage (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d84 = 9

To Hit (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d207-2-2 = 12

Damage (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d84 = 12

DUNGEON MASTER: Both of Johan’s arrows miss; one goes over the beast and another falls short.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar attacks once more with his crossbow

Crossbow 1d20+4 (-2)= 18

damage 1d8=6

DUNGEON MASTER: Solar’s bolt strikes true. The beast positively shrieks in pain; it sinks a little lower in the air.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Solar delays an action to cast a spell after the manitcore has moved closer this turn.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias delays an action to cast a spell after the manitcore has moved closer this turn.

DUNGEON MASTER: The manticore lashes its tail again and four spikes fly through the air at Mesodias, striking him for 14 damage.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias grasps his holy symbol that hangs around his neck and summons a greatsword made of force that appears in the air beside the manticore.

To Hit (spiritual weapon): 1d20+5 = 21

Damage (spiritual weapon): 1d8+2 = 4 (No DR)

Round: 1/4

DUNGEON MASTER: The beast is now 100’ away from the southern tip of the island.

DUNGEON MASTER: The greatsword slashes the foul beast’s hide.

GRUNDIG: grundig takes a steading breath from the run to the trees and throws another firey ball at the manticore. ranged att=1d20+2=18 dam=1d6+4=8+2 frop last round totle 10

DUNGEON MASTER: The beast’s hide continues to burn. It roars in pain and anger.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan readies another two arrows, firing as quickly as possible before the manticore closes. (Rapid Shot)

To Hit (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d207-2 = 14

Damage (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d84 = 11

To Hit (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d207-2 = 24

Damage (4 Str MW Longbow): 1d84 = 9

DUNGEON MASTER: Johan’s first arrow falls short, but the second one strikes true. The manticore shrieks in pain and begins to wheel away.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar attacks once more with his crossbow

Crossbow 1d20+4 (-2)= 18

damage 1d8=6

DUNGEON MASTER: The bolt strikes the beast. For a moment it wavers in the sky; then, of a sudden, it plummets and crashes into the dark water, which slowly begins to turn red.

[End Rounds.]

SOLAR CE’NEA: And that gentlemen is how it is gone smile Solar

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar tries to remember if Manticores are solitary creatures 1d20+13=23

GRUNDIG: grundig smiels at solar and looks up at the nest from what iv heard these things like shiny things he says grinning from ear to ear

DUNGEON MASTER: Manticores certainly may be found with mates, or even as members of prides.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan regards his companions, “Not bad! Some nice shooting and fire ball throwing.” Johan turns to call out to the boatmen. “Now don’t you go anywhere. Your safer right here next to us you understand?”

SOLAR CE’NEA: If anyone is checking that nest be careful, as it may have had a mate.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan questions the boatsmen, “Who’s manticore was that anyway?”

DUNGEON MASTER: Johan notes that Bratzig’s boat is now some distance away—it appears he turned tail and paddled for his life as soon as he heard the first roar.

GRUNDIG: i think they both would have came out if there where two of them grundig checks the flame still burning in his hand to reashore himself.

GRUNDIG: grundig extinguish the flame in his hand and climbs up to the nest climb check

GRUNDIG: 1d20+0=16

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar decides to leave the climing to the rugged types and says to Mesodius, how about you help me check out the shore line on this island to fnd tracks, drag marks or things hidden is reeds and the like while they others play woodsmen, Solar winks.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Percpetion check 1d20+4=20

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: “I bet we can find a few bodies out here with this thing around. Seriously no one has seen or heard that thing before?” Johan inspects the shore line for any hidden or concealed items/bodies.

Perception check: 1d20+9 = 23

DUNGEON MASTER: Grundig climbs the tree without so much as a rope of climbing to aid him. In the nest, which appears to be of fairly recent construction, he discovers the corpse of a dwarf traveler. The corpse wears a colorful patchwork coat with numerous pockets holding an oil of keen edge, a package of bodybalm, a silver hip f lask still containing expensive smelling brandy, and a crimson felt purse, which proves to contain containing 31 pp and 22 gp.

DUNGEON MASTER: While he is passing under the nest, Johan also disovers a fine looking short sword near the base of the tree.

GRUNDIG: grundig pockets the stuff for the moment untill he can show the others. he also takes the little finger of the dwaff as a trophy (for the battle)and puts it in his sack

DUNGEON MASTER: Taking a further look at the coracle, Johan notes that there is a dark reddish blotch at the bottom of the boat. The coracle contains an oar, a moldy leather travel bag with a damp artisan’s outfit (a shirt, breeches, shoes, and a cloth apron) inside, and a vile object—what appears to be a detached human face. In addition, a length of rope stretches from the boat into the waters below.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan shivers as he realises what it is he has found. He inspects the rope for traps before pulling on the rope.

Perception check (trap): 1d20+11 = 21

DUNGEON MASTER: Johan discovers no traps, and presently hauls the rope in. At the end of the rope is a heavy bag, which has a blotchy dark red stain.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Mesodias uses one of his channeling healing bursts: 2d6 = 7 hp

2nd healing channel: 2d6 = 4 hp

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: “Damn it!” Johan curses out loud as he notices the bad. “This ain’t no grave yard I have ever seen before.” Johan opens the bag after taking a deep breath.

DUNGEON MASTER: The bag is very large, large enough to hold a human in fact. The sackholds some rope, a gag, a rusted lantern, a trio of heavy knives, and a rusted shovel.

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar tries to piece all the information he has together Intelligence check 1d20+4=21

DUNGEON MASTER: The human face looks naggingly familiar—Solar can’t shake the feeling that it resembles something he has seen before.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: “Could this manticore have done all fo this? Collecting trophies… picking off townsfolk without any of them knowing?” Johan stands there looking around.

SOLAR CE’NEA: I’m sure they would have heard him

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar checks all the items with detect magic

DUNGEON MASTER: The sword is non-magical, but Solar does discover a source of magic: a small white stick at the bottom of the tree.

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar concentrates on the stick and tries to determine what it is

DUNGEON MASTER: The stick is a wand of ghost sound.

DUNGEON MASTER: It has 22 charges.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan inspects the makeshift grave sites for any sign of disturbance or interest.

Perception check: 1d20+9 = 24

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: [Retrack]

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar aids grundig aid another and takes 20

GRUNDIG: grundig looks arround the graves for sighns of them being tampered with or desturbed takeing 20 on percepetio check

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan takes twenty on his perception check to investigate the grave sites.

Perception check: 20+9 = 29 (31 vs humanoid)

GRUNDIG: peception =20+11=31

GRUNDIG: +2 for aid another =33

DUNGEON MASTER: Johan identifies six graves in the boneyard that appear to have been tampered with, sagging into the ground as though they had collapsed from below, and leaving wide depressions in the muddy earth.

DUNGEON MASTER: The party members aiding Johan also discover a leather-bound casefilled with fine tools, made of silver with amethyst handles, buried in the undergrowth nearby.

DUNGEON MASTER: This last item is found in the proximity of the rotten coracle.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar tries to think what these might be knowledge 1d20+13=30

GRUNDIG: perception check 1d20+13 for seeing if he can identerfy the tools

GRUNDIG: perception=20+11=31

GRUNDIG: heal check =1d20+8=20

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar does aid another for a heal check for grundig 1d20=11

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar does appraise 1d20+4=13

DUNGEON MASTER: These tools are a surgical instruments used by physicians and chirurgeons. The heroes also notice a small symbol on the handles depicting a raven.

Solar guesses that these instruments are worth between 100 and 1000 gp.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Solar tries to remember what the raven may mean Knowledge check local 1d20+13=31

DUNGEON MASTER: The raven appears to be a maker’s stamp. Perhaps if he were to ask around the local city, the heroes could identify whose stamp this is.

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar suggests taking the cloths that are covered in blood so we might be able to find it later.

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: “I feel that whoever these tools belong too could have held responsibility for the deaths of the ten townsfolk. It could be possible to track who they belonged too by the markings,” replies Johan.

SOLAR CE’NEA: SOlar suggests to his companions that there is something bigger going on, the surgeon tools and the missing bodies from the graves and the 10 dead people suggests some body or body parts trafficing for some reason and the face suggests osmeone was trying to pretend to be someone else to be able to move around unnoticed. He suggests going to their guide and saying they found the face near the manticores nest and what to know who it belongs to so they can alert the next of kin

DUNGEON MASTER: The party returns to their coracles and paddle back to Morast. Bratzig is not far off; he is to be seen standing white-faced, engaging in animated conversation with a group of black-faced swampers, all of whom back off immediately when the heroes come into sight.

DUNGEON MASTER: “Wha-you made it out! By ye gods and godlings!”

GRUNDIG: i think that the flask containing the alchemist stuff may prove that the vilagers attacked something in a beast form rather than being the golem.

SOLAR CE’NEA: I agree, the alchemist and the surgenon tools and the need for night vision all indicate some one mascarading as someoen else

JOHAN D’ALMENTA / MESODIAS: Johan replies to the villagers, “You were lucky we were hear, that beast had quite a foul temper. That beast won’t trouble you or the village again.”

DUNGEON MASTER: The villagers are all standing some distance off, and they back off even further at Johan’s remarks.

SOLAR CE’NEA: Yes thank you for letting us know he was coming….perhaps you can redeem yourself, we found the face of this man near the manticores lair. Could you tell us who it is and we will alert the poor next of kin to their loss

DUNGEON MASTER: “Yes… w-while he just appeared out of the mists didn’t he? What was a person sposed to do but paddle? H-him? That’s Nan Klebem! H-he’s a poacher… who used to visit Morast about every new moon… but he hasn’t been by in about a year…”

SOLAR CE’NEA: You say he was a poacher, before he left was he doing anything that seemed strange?

SOLAR CE’NEA: Out of character?

DUNGEON MASTER: “While, strange, sure, but not unlike himself.”

SOLAR CE’NEA: Do you know where he came from?

SOLAR CE’NEA: Where he normally lives?

DUNGEON MASTER: “Can’t say as I do. Hereabouts somewhere. Folk live where they can, get by how they can. That’s how things is out here, you understand?”

SOLAR CE’NEA: Well thank you for your assistance, again we are sorry for your losses. We shall leave you now. Good day!

DUNGEON MASTER: Their business done, the party turns back down the trail leading from the dismal hamelt of Morast back to the thriving metropolis of Lepidstadt.

[The party gains xp for making the following deductions:

someone stole six bodies from the boneyard (1,200 XP).

the blood caiman attack should have left scars, but the Beast has none (1,200 XP).

as a f lesh golem, the Beast has darkvision, so it would not need an extract of darkvision (1,200 XP).

the face in the coracle is similar to the skin left in Ravengro’s temple (1,200 XP).

the face in the coracle, little more than a ragged mask, is the face of Nan Klebem(1,200 XP).

Additionally, the party gains 400 xp each for defeating the Manticore.]

Comments

ddstevenson

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.